Nick the Auditor...

Frustrations, ideas, rude comments and suggestions welcome.

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Being a Blessing

What is the definition of the local church? This sunday morning we talked about tithing, and how it is part of God's plan to keep the local church operational. But, what is the local church and is it the same as the bride of Christ?

This morning it was said that the local church did not include any other ministries, and I tend to disagree with this. I don't feel that my church is a particularly good steward of my tithe money, and with that in mind, I have withheld my tithe and routed it elsewhere. But, I do not believe that I have been withholding my tithe from God when I have been obedient to give and act as a blessing even if it has been to/through other ministries or individuals who needed support...when did my church become the only legitimate Christian ministry worthy of my financial support? Am I wrong in this? Aren't we as Christians called to help one another, and share our possessions as if they were not our own (because they are not) and use them to further the kingdom?

I don't really like the idea of my tithe money going to buy props or decorations for the sanctuary. If I got the impression that the money was going toward a grief ministry or various missions ministries or to buy evangelistic tracts, I would not object, but wasted on seasonal decorations!!! I can't really stand for that...am I wrong for this? It seems like the church is struggling to maintain it's audience, and I don't think puttin on a fancy show is the way to do that. Let me hear your thoughts...

6 Comments:

  • At 6:37 PM, Blogger Alex said…

    Hey Buddy! Glad to see another friendly hispanic face in the blog world. As far as the local church, I believe this consists of the physical bodies that make up a community. For example, you could say that the local church is 1) your actual home church body, 2) the group of local churches in your community with the same convictions, etc. 3) you get the idea.

    I think God wants us to be obedient with our tithe to the local church. Some would say that the tithe only goes to the church you are a member of. Others believe in supporting ministries outside of the church they attend, as thier tithe. I think the main point is the attitude of the heart. Are you tithing out of obedience to the word of god, and because you desire to be disciplined with what god has let you manage for him?

    As as side note, dont you love how like every SBC does its giving series at the beginning of the year?

     
  • At 2:40 AM, Blogger James said…

    Hey, man. Good questions, and I think you make an excellent point overall, to which I
    would like to add two things:

    1) "Each one must give as he has made up his mind, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver" (2 Corinthians 9:7) I think it's important to remember that we are not to give reluctantly, but cheerfully. I say this because if there is a reluctance to give to a certain ministry or church because of the way the money is spent, I think that is a legitimate concern, and you should honor that, and find a manner in which you can give cheerfully, perhaps to another ministry.

    2) "On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that there will be no collecting when I come" (1 Corinthians 16:2) I think it's important that Paul noted that the Corinthians should give as they had been prospered, which would be more for some, less for others. I think the American church gets so hung up on "10 percent" that we neglect that God would have most of us (whom he has greatly prospered, compared with the rest of the world) give more, which would be plenty for the local church, as well as other ministries.

    This is something that I have dealt a lot with since I've been overseas, but I have really seen God's blessing through giving to ministries that are doing excellent works in America and around the world, all of them a part of the church of Jesus Christ, and all, I think valid in our giving.

    P.S. Check out A Biblical Theology of Poverty and Almsgiving, over at Andy's site. It articulates some excellent thoughts on the tithe which have been plaguing me for awhile.

     
  • At 2:14 PM, Blogger Tony E said…

    I believe that the tithe is specifically for the church that you are attending. The purpose of the tithe, is to not muzzle the ox as he plows the field and a worker is due his wages. If you are not tithing to the church and you are a member of that church then you are essentially stealing from them.
    However, the bigger issue is this, why are you attending a church in which you don't trust the pastors. If you do not trust their spiritual leadership with your money then you really can't trust their leadership at all. There are many good southern baptist churches in Orlando. I think you should find one where you trust their leadership. How about First Baptist Orlando?

     
  • At 9:48 AM, Blogger Nick & Jessie said…

    Preach on Preachers! Some really good and complimentary thoughts here. And I'd have to say I agree with all of them! To James' points, I agree that giving should be a joyful experience and done willingly and that we should give as we are able and blessed to give, and that is where I would like to say that I am, but I'm not quite there yet. To Alex and Tony's points, I know that the tithe is meant to support the local church, and that we should be obedient in that, but like I said in my post, I don't really trust my current church to be obedient in delegating my tithe money to the furthering of the kingdom. Which brings me to Tony's primary point, why am I still at a church whose leadership I don't trust...good question...I've been looking, and hopefully the Lord will continue to lead Jessie and I to a place where we can be involved and live out our passion for the nations through local ministries, because that is what we would love to be doing...well some solid Biblical preaching & good praise and worship wouldn't hurt either!

     
  • At 8:26 PM, Blogger Tony E said…

    Sorry Andy. I respect you and our children have the same name but don't trash the tithe. Minimum ten percent off your gross (before taxes and insurance). If you want to trash it give a higher percentage. We have all been blessed enough to trust God with 10%.

     
  • At 9:49 AM, Blogger Nick & Jessie said…

    I'm glad to see the healthy dialog. I guess when you get pastors talking about money it becomes a sensitive subject. I haven't been in town too much lately, and will be out again this weekend. But, when I get back I will once again hit the ground running with church hunting on the mind. I appreciate your prayers for Jessie and I, as church membership is such an integral part of our life and may play a role in our future.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home