Nick the Auditor...

Frustrations, ideas, rude comments and suggestions welcome.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Bein' rough

So this weekend was pretty sweet. I went to the Holden ranch (that's my fiance's family) in the wonderful yet oh so overlooked town of Bassinger, FL. The ranch sits on the Kissimmee River near Lake Okeechobee. It's a pretty sweet setup. Jessie and I hung out with her folks and brothers for the weekend. We lit a huge bonfire of the remaining debris from the hurricanes, which was pretty sweet. We used gasoline and unlike a good friend of mine, we used a moltov cocktail to get the fire started as opposed to dropping a match in a trail of the gas, since the fumes explode and what not.

Many of you may remember my beloved Baobab trees, which have been transplanted to the back 40 acres of the ranch, where they have plenty of room to stretch their roots. They are about 4 years old and in another 996 years should be about 7 feet around...but that's not factoring in the miracle gro!

So we burned stuff, rode atvs, set up a trap to catch a hog, fished off the dock, went canoeing, roasted some mallows and made smores, slept 10 hours a night, read and just plain chilled out...overall I'd say it was a glorious weekend!!! Wish I could be out there more. Maybe one day you'll be able to join us out there.

We even went to church on Sunday, attending the First Baptist Church of Bassinger (est. 1896). There were 16 people in service, and the Holden clan represented 6 of them. I'm not sure if I'm impressed by the longevity of such churches or insulted by their unwillingess to press on in winning souls for Jesus, allowing their congregation to age and become even less effective for the sake of the Gospel. Thoughts on the subject?

2 Comments:

  • At 10:09 AM, Blogger Nick & Jessie said…

    Good thought. If my memory serves me correctly, there are 6 churches in Bassinger...now is that really necessary??? So there's gotta be at least (10 x 6 = 60) 60 other people in town right?

     
  • At 2:32 PM, Blogger Tony E said…

    I don't think you can judge a Church's evangelism by it's size. My church is somewhere between 100 to 200 people and I think they love the Lord and evangilize. I think in order to tell if they don't care about lost souls you would have to spend more time with them. Perhaps they spend all their days witnesing in prison's and old folks homes. That would explain why there are only 6 people attending. Just a thought.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home