Church Funds
Recently, a church I have been attending unveilved a new initiative. It is titled the "Others" campaign and it does not, contrary to popular belief, have anything to do with the TV show Lost. The pastor of the church requested that every member make a 2 year financial commitment of giving a couple bucks above and beyond their tithe. These additional funds are going to be used to better reach the un-churched of East Orlando.
Now, there are several different methods which I would not hesitate to fully support, such as caring for widows and orphans, delivering sandwiches to the homeless, reaching out to homebound elderly folks or conducting door to door evangelism with a stronger emphasis on follow up and discipleship. However, none of these were mentioned on the short list of items that the additional funds would be used for.
What was on the list, however, were the following items:
Repainting the exterior of the church
A new church sign with the new church name (don't even get me started on this one)
Directional signs for parking
Interior bulding refurbishment
and the list continues with other ridiculous expenses
Does anybody else think I am wrong for thinking that this campaign is ridiculous?
Now, there are several different methods which I would not hesitate to fully support, such as caring for widows and orphans, delivering sandwiches to the homeless, reaching out to homebound elderly folks or conducting door to door evangelism with a stronger emphasis on follow up and discipleship. However, none of these were mentioned on the short list of items that the additional funds would be used for.
What was on the list, however, were the following items:
Repainting the exterior of the church
A new church sign with the new church name (don't even get me started on this one)
Directional signs for parking
Interior bulding refurbishment
and the list continues with other ridiculous expenses
Does anybody else think I am wrong for thinking that this campaign is ridiculous?

6 Comments:
At 3:42 AM,
James said…
How is this not a scam? "Give to 'the others'" and the money will go...right back into our church to make it look nicer? You got to be kidding me! This kind of stuff looks especially silly from over here in Africa, where our people (who have...lets see...nothing!) bring beans and sorghum as an offering to be given to the poor. If they can, why can't we?
At 2:58 PM,
Nick & Jessie said…
Perhaps I'll drop some old easter candy in the offering plate this coming week. I'll write my name on it so they know who it's coming from and can call me 'evil'.
At 3:32 PM,
Anonymous said…
I agree with James. Danny was just in Kenya last month and had the same experience with the offering thing. People brought their tithe and they brought their "goods".
What's up Nick? We live so close and never see each other... Hope all is well.
~Casey Haas
At 8:51 PM,
Anonymous said…
Nick,
I understand your frustration. I am wondering though, if you are more upset at the misleading campaign slogan or what the funds are actually being used for. It does seem that if it simply a renovation fundraiser, then that is what they need to call it. However, I think I understand what the church you are attending is trying to do. I don't see anything wrong with the church (the building) being appealing. That is something that has become important in reaching seekers more and more. Reading the comment from your friend who is overseas does make stuff like renovations to a building sound trivial, but the church has to consider where it is located and who their target audience is. If the church wants to continue to reach people for the kingdom, it has to start keeping up with the "trends" in today's society, if you will. Yes, sometimes raising money for renovations to a building seems silly sometimes, but sometimes, if being done for the right reasons are necessary.
At 1:01 PM,
Anonymous said…
I totally disagree with a lot of what anonymous said. Words like "target audience" belong in a marketing class.
The reason "seekers" should end up in the seats of our churches is because we've gone out there and shown them the unconditional and amazing love of Christ by serving them with no other agenda.
If the church truly wants to reach people for the kingdom, I think the LAST thing we should be worried about is building rennovations. Those who are truly hurting need the radical gospel of Jesus Christ and could probably care less about paint and signs.
I don't see anything wrong with a church building being appealing and not trashed, I just think we are sorely confused if we believe our impact will be the greatest if our exteriors are in order.
CH
At 8:19 PM,
Anonymous said…
You can give to my other campaign... a new hummer is just the thing I need to reach out my unchurched friends!
Post a Comment
<< Home